Shark Bridge, a 75-foot-long, V-shaped rope bridge suspended over the open waters of the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit’s 385,000-gallon shark tank, opened on April 30 and has proven to be a hit with the public.
“When we built the Shark Bridge, we wanted to provide our guests with a completely new way to view some of our most popular animals, the nearly two dozen sharks in our 385,000 gallon shark oceanarium,” said Eric Rose, executive director for Newport Aquarium. “Families are telling us they’ve never experienced anything like it before, and kids are crossing as many times as their parents will let them.”
The 300,000 crossings of Shark Bridge equates to more than 4,200 miles of distance trekked, or roughly the equivalent of travelling from Cincinnati to Hawaii.
The shark capital of the Midwest, Newport Aquarium boasts a variety of shark-infested activities in addition to the Shark Bridge:
- Surrounded by Sharks – Newport Aquarium’s signature exhibit, guests can travel through an 85-foot-long acrylic tunnel inside a 385,000-gallon tank as seven species of sharks – scalloped hammerhead, sand tiger, whitetip, blacktip, zebra, sandbar and nurse – swim over and above.
- Shark Tank Dive Shows – Guests catch their first and largest views of shark rays and sharks at the Shark Ray Bay theater, where our shark dive shows feature a scuba diver addressing and taking questions from the audience about the biology and conservation of sharks and other animals found inside the tank. (Fridays through Sundays: Noon, 12:20 p.m., 12:40 p.m., 2 p.m., 2:20 p.m. and 2:40 p.m.)
- Shark Feedings – Newport Aquarium performs public feedings for its sharks and shark rays, where guests can watch biologists feed from either the Shark Ray Bay Theater, the Surrounded by Sharks tunnels, or through a biologist’s point-of-view from the Shark Tank Overlook. (Shark tank feeds 11 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; Large shark feeds 11 a.m. Tuesdays; Shark ray feeds 1:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays)
- Shark Touch Pool – At the Shark Central exhibit, guests have the opportunity to touch dozens of sharks. An Animal Experience Specialist teaches guests the proper technique to touch sharks and helps them understand each species in this international collection. (open to close daily)
- Sharks After Dark Overnight – Guests can sink their teeth into some great shark facts and sleep safely as they swim above. Every Overnight Adventure includes exclusive aquarium access, shark-themed games and activities. (7:30 p.m. Aug. 29)
Free Kids Admission Offer Ending Soon: Newport Aquarium is entering the final stretch of its Summer Family Hours promotion, when up to two children (ages 2-12) receive free* admission between 4-7 p.m. Sunday-Friday with the purchase of one full-priced adult ticket. This family-favorite offer runs through Aug. 31, and is available for purchase online only at newportaquarium.com.
For more information on Newport Aquarium, visit NewportAquarium.com or call toll free 800-406-FISH (3474).
*This special offer cannot be combined with other discounts or coupons. Last entry to the Aquarium is 6 p.m.
Newport Aquarium has showcased thousands of animals from around the world in a million gallons of water since May 15, 1999. Named one of the best aquariums in the U.S. by Travel Channel and USA Today, Newport Aquarium is a Herschend Family Entertainment company and an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky jewel attraction is home to: The world’s first and only Shark Bridge; the world’s first Shark Ray Breeding Program; Mighty Mike – the biggest and baddest American alligator outside the state of Florida; the largest and most diverse collection of sharks in the Midwest; and one of the world’s largest and most diverse penguin exhibits. Newport Aquarium is open to the public 365 days a year and is located across the Ohio River from downtown Cincinnati at Newport on the Levee.
One Aquarium Way | Newport, KY 41071 | 859-261-7444